The Honolulu Marathon is the fourth largest marathon in the United States after New York, Chicago, and Boston. There is no time limit which allows everyone to finish. The Honolulu Marathon course includes spectacular ocean views alongside world famous Waikiki Beach, and Diamond Head and Koko Head Volcanic Craters. The course is flat except for short uphill grades around Diamond Head. This McMillan marathon training plan is Greg’s tried and true marathon plan specifically geared towards the Honolulu Marathon.
- Length: 12 weeks
- Runs per week: 4-7
- Key/Hard Workouts per week: 1-2
- Cross-training days per week: 1-2
- Garmin Structured Workout Compatible
- McMillan Calculator paces integrated into all workouts
- Geared towards the Speedster type of runner
- Tried and true, scientifically-based and proven marathon workout sequence
- Provides a heavier mix of repetition/speed workouts while minimizing workouts that don’t work as well for speedsters
- Goal pace predictor workouts to dial in your goal pace
- Progressive long runs to increase your endurance
- Stamina-boosting marathon specialty workouts
- Predictor workouts to determine your best pace for race day
- Gradual pace advancement through the training plan to keep you optimally challenged
- Workout swapping – flexibility to move runs around based on your life schedule
- Built-in injury prevention and strength training routines to perform in sync with your running workouts
- Form drills to improve your speed and efficiency
- Be able to run 50-60 minutes on your regular runs and at least 90 minutes on your long runs.
Need more weeks? Try these plans!
- Base Training Plan: adds up to 8 weeks (Recommended)
- Hill Module: adds up to 6 weeks (opt.)
- Speed Module: adds up to 6 weeks (opt.)
- Honolulu Marathon Training Plan: 10-12 weeks (see above description)